Monday, April 3, 2017

TTM Success 1: My First Ever TTM

I've been inspired by fellow bloggers to dip my toes in the Through The Mail (TTM) water. Afraid to fail and lose all motivation to ever try this again, I dug through some boxes and pulled out a card of a player who is known (according to the interwebs) for being a good signer: Mr. Ron Gant.

I didn't bother recording the dates it went and came, but I do remember it arrived back in my mail box the next week - much more quickly than I expected. It seemed strange to get an envelope in the mail addressed to me with my own handwriting, but also very exciting because I knew what was inside.

I had a handful of his cards to chose from, but this Kmart card seemed to be the prime candidate for an auto and it turned out great in my opinion. The thick white border and colorful design up top compliments Gant's autograph.


I now plan to make this a regular part of my hobby experience, and already have a few more sent out to former Dbacks players (fingers crossed).

Thanks to those who share their TTM experiences through their blogs and for motivating me to start!

Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the successful maiden voyage! I too want to try and TTM more often, but am also afraid of failure. So far, I'm 1 for 2. Here's hoping you get those DBacks back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a little intimidating with all the time spent writing and prepping the envelopes and risking the loss of some cards and a couple of stamps. Because of that, I'll probably be more cautious of who I send out to and how often.

      Delete
  2. Way to go! It's addicting getting those envelopes back. Are you using an address database that tracks success rates? That way you can minimize your failure rate. Email me if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did a little looking around and the one website I found that has the most addresses is Sports Card Forum. It's still all pretty new to me, so I'll take any advice you have!

      Delete
  3. I'm late to the party, but welcome to the TTM club! Two pieces of advice - drop the $15/year for a SCN (sportscollectors.net) membership. If that's too rich for your blood, create an account, you'll be able to see the last two weeks worth of reported returns. I did that for a while and just kept a spreadsheet in Google Sheets of people I wanted to send to.

    Two - and you'll hear this from any fellow TTMer - don't send anything that you can't bear to see gone for good. I've got a healthy success rate, but sometimes cards don't come back, even from good signers. I'm at about 375 successes since I started again 3 years ago, with about 200 pending requests. A good stack of the failures were spring training longshots, so don't let that discourage you.

    There are a few Facebook groups out there (Baseball Autographs is a good one) for TTMers, which are usually full of nice helpful people and you'll get to see successes from other folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great advice, Marc!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete