Wednesday, April 5, 2017

A One Card COMC Purchase

I purchased one card from COMC on March 31st and it arrived in my mail box April 3rd. There are many reasons why I only purchased this single card. Many of you are probably thinking I should have waited long enough to add a sizable stack to my COMC inventory before requesting a shipment. Had I done so, I would have been out $3.99! 

You see, I had received a small stack of scratch cards after making a purchase during COMC's Black Friday promotion. Two of those scratch offs contained a free shipping code. I already used one back in January and had yet to use the other. I came across the scratch cards the other day and saw that I needed to redeem the final free shipping code before April 1. So I hopped on the website and started looking.



This 1997 Finest Embossed Refractor of Steve Finley was on my watch list and caught my eye. And in person this piece is a real beaut. The scan kinda shows the embossed-ness but doesn't capture the refractage at all. Combine those two and you could just stare at this card for a long minute at least. It's hypnotizing...

I had searched through eBay and some databases to find out if others were up for sale and they were not nor had they been for some time. It turns out the 1997 Finest Embossed Refractor is very scarce (but not numbered) so I knew this may be one of the very few times I would ever come across this card.

The price seemed fair, but I only had $.06 didn't want to add a ton of credit to my COMC account, and the minimum amount one can add at any one time is $10. So I added $10 and threw in a sub $10 offer. The seller countered at a price just a bit over what I had in my account. I countered their counter with everything I had loaded and they rejected the offer altogether.

Now I was in a predicament. I didn't want to add another $10 credit to my account because I only needed a few more cents to meet the counter offer and I really wanted the card (I'm attempting to be a more disciplined collector...we'll see how that goes). So I clicked on the COMC challenge page and wasted about 30 minutes of my life playing the challenge "games" so I could earn enough points to get $1 credit so I could meet the counter offer price and submit a new offer.

So that's what I did. And it worked! I now have this awesome card in my collection.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment