Sunday, April 9, 2017

1999 Ultimate Victory Steve Finley 1 of 1

After watching this card on eBay for many months, I decided it was time to add it to my collection and call it mine. The seller listed it at a very high $150 Buy It Now (BIN) or best offer, and even though this is one of the coolest parallels of all time from one of my all time favorite sets and one of my all time favorite players, I was not about to fork out that much dough.

When the time came to put in an offer, I had to decide what seemed fair and reasonable without breaking the bank. I came to the conclusion that yes, while it is a BGS 9.5 of a 1/1 from the 90's, there aren't many avid Steve Finley collectors out there such as myself, so the seller will probably accept a price much lower than what they're asking just to get the card out of their inventory.

My first offer was around 70% below asking price and they countered at 30% below. We went back and forth a couple of more times before they finally accepted at around 55% below asking. 



This card highlights my collection in many ways:

- It's my first ever 1 of 1
- It's my first ever BGS slabbed card
- It's now my most expensive card in my collection

While the quality of the card stock is about average, the condition, the design, the foil, the gold border, and the action photo of Finley robbing a HR makes this card a true gem and my new favorite card in my collection.

Nostalgia plug: Around the time this card was released, I was a Little League outfielder in Arizona pretending I was like Steve Finley.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. That card is awesome! Congrats on adding it to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your big purchase! And kudos to you as well for being able to get the price down so much, usually sellers aren't willing to take that much off their original BIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I figured I would give it a shot since it sat on the Bay for so long and it worked!

      Delete