Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Another Upset from Topps Now

Today Topps Now released cards # 361-365, highlighting some memorable moments on 16 August 2016 to include an amazing catch by Anthony Rizzo.

What they FAILED to do was a make card of Mitch Haniger setting a franchise record for the Arizona Diamondbacks during his Major League Debut by knocking in 3 runs while going 2 for 4. Oh, and those two hits were a double and a triple.



My only card of Mitch Haniger
2015 Topps Heritage Minors Orange 14/25


In the meantime, they make a Topps Now card of Noah Syndergaard tying (not actually BREAKING) the Met's single season record for HRs by a pitcher, which by the way is a measly 3. I get that HRs are hard to come by for a pitcher, but wouldn't it make more sense to release a card of him if he actually broke a record, like what Mitch did yesterday??

As I have mentioned before, the Dbacks only have 1 card from the Topps Now set, and it's of a decent pitching performance by Zack Greinke (whoop-dee-do).This continues to solidify my disdain for Topps and their new line of Topps Now. I have yet to compile the statistics, but from my observations, they focus strictly on the teams doing well this season, or simply the teams with a larger fan base who are willing to fork out $10 for a card. While I get their whole marketing strategy with this set (and are making a killing thus far), how is it fair to collectors of less popular teams??

This leads in to another issue I have with Topps and their set checklists from the year. Take for example the set checklists for the upcoming set 2016 Bowman Platinum (including the insert sets). As a Dbacks fan, why would I even want to look at a pack? But I'll leave that for another post.

Let me know what your thoughts and opinions are about this! Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Funny - you'd think Topps would want to be all over a hot rookie. Tsk tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't bought any Topps Now cards, and while my Royals have had quite a few cards in the set, I really hope they even it out a bit more next year. I hear a lot of complaints on Twitter daily about how some teams are never represented, and I agree. I also don't like how they will have like 5 cards one day, and only one the next. I think next year they should make the same amount for each day regardless of if it was a good night or not. Maybe set it at four and if someone manages to buy each card, that's a 648 card set, which is pretty good.

    Overall, I think they have a good concept, but their execution needs to be worked on some. It reminds me of the Upper Deck Documentary set. I thought it was good in theory, but the set was just too big and I think a couple modifications would have made it a much better set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are preaching to the choir here. I've complained regularly as a Brewers fan that this Topps Now money grab has ignored several teams -- the Brewers and the D-Backs were tied for through the end of July with one card, for instance. Topps ignored a Brewer TRIPLE PLAY earlier this year, for God's sake. Topps also ignored things like Ryan Braun's 1500th hit (which I could see ignoring but for some of the dubious milestones that have been celebrated since) and Orlando Arcia's first major league hit.

    The only reason the Brewers got any more of these cards since the 3-HR game that former D-Back Aaron Hill had in May was because (a) Jonathan Lucroy was traded away; (b) Prince Fielder retired; and (c) the Brewers scored a run in every single inning of a game, a feat that is rarer than a pitcher throwing a perfect game.

    It's quite frustrating. And, of course, the checklists for new products ignore the Brewers and D-Backs regularly. Yes, you get Goldschmidt and we get Braun, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I've actually put a spreadsheet together tracking the teams who get the Topps Now cards. If you're interested in it, let me know by email.

      Delete
  4. Yes I wish Topps would even it out. I'm a Sox collector and I feel they've had way to many put out

    ReplyDelete