Sunday, January 10, 2016

First Card Show of 2016

I hit up my first card show of 2016 yesterday with $30 cash in my wallet, my New Year's collecting resolutions in my head, and a list of 2015 Topps Heritage and Heritage High Number needs in my pocket.

To start off, I didn't get a single Topps Heritage card at the show. None of the tables had them. So my list was completely useless. I did, however, manage to add nearly 300 cards to my collection. Needless to say, I impulsively bought every nickel and dime-box card I liked (I really need to work on the whole self-control part of collecting.)

As some of you know, I created a list of goals for this year. One of those goals was to tighten up my collection and only focus on my Steve Finley and Paul Goldschmidt PCs and collect Dbacks cards. I think I did a pretty good job of that yesterday. Here's just a little of what I got:

2001 Upper Deck Vintage AZ Diamondbacks Team Set 


I nabbed this team set from a seller I had met at the last show. We exchanged a few emails before the show and he was kind enough to dig up dome extra Dbacks cards for me to buy. Those are some good looking uniforms. The Steve Finley card is, of course, the coolest looking one of them all.


2006 Upper Deck Special F/X Purple  (#ed to 150) Dbacks lot

These are some gorgeous cards, especially since they're purple "refractors" numbered to 150! I'll definitely have to finish off the team set. (sorry for the sideways shots)

2014 Topps Heritage Chrome #THC-463 /999

For the Paul Goldschmidt PC, I only added 5 cards (2 of which I already have multiple copies of). This was my biggest purchase of the day. A whopping $1.50!! I'll definitely have to go for the rainbow on this card. And maybe even collect the whole Heritage set....

2004 Cracker Jack Mini Blue

2004 Cracker Jack Mini Blue
I came across these and had to nab them.  Again, another team set to complete. I love the aged look and feel they have to them. It gives me the false impression that they are worth more than they are.



My one relic at the show. It barely cost anything since no one these days knows about the side-armed hurler that is Brad Ziegler unless you follow the Diamondbacks.


Yes!!! I love finding Steve Finley Cards. I nearly doubled my Steve Finley cards at the show. Finding him as a Dback is especially awesome.






And my two random (oddball?) finds of the day. Kirby holding a bat with his shirt off (kind of creepy), and a TrueValue card of Mr. October. It's super thick and actually unfolds into another card. It hasn't been opened but I peeked and it's Ryne Sandberg underneath.

I managed to find a total of the following at the show:

Luis Gonzalez - 13
Steve Finley - 21
Randy Johnson - 30
Curt Schilling -2
Matt Williams - 24
Mark Grace - 1
Jay Bell -15
Travis Lee - 15
Erbubiel Durazo - 7

And about 150 of the 300 cards were Dbacks!

I'd say it was a great success. 

On a side note, While flipping through the Padres and Astros boxes in search of Finleys, I came across a ton of Biggios, Bagwells, and Gwynns. As a kid, I always loved collecting their cards, so I guess the kid in me was telling me to grab them, even though I don't "actively" collect them anymore. If anyone is interested in them, let me know!

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Those purple fx cards are nice. Have no fear regarding your 15 Heritage I just sent a bubbler full of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff thanks so much! I've got a PWE on its way to you as well.

      Delete
  2. Those 2006 UD Special F/X Purple parallels are stunning. Perfect color for Arizona fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I love any and all purple refractors and parallels, especially if it's of a Dback!

      Delete