Thursday, January 7, 2016

An Unusual Week

Two weeks ago, I went to my LCS to stock up on card supplies (pages, sleeves, top-loaders, etc) and decided, of course, to pick up a few more packs of 2015 Topps Heritage and Heritage High Number in hopes of getting a little closer to completing the entire set(s). It was my lucky day...

Now, when I say lucky day, I mean LUCKY DAY. I don't exactly have a good track record of pulling hits from packs, and when I do, it's usually from someone who's really good at riding the bench or a "promising" prospect who never makes it to The Show.

So there I was, opening the first of 4 packs and at the back was a purple refractor. As a D-Backs fan from birth (their birth, not mine of course) I have always loved purple on cards, D-Backs player or not. The next pack I opened contained ANOTHER purple refractor. Yes! Then I thought back a few months to a case break I watched, remembering that some boxes contain a purple refractor in each pack! So I opened the last two packs and I was right...


Three of the four refractors are Short Prints too. Very exciting.

But that's not all.  What came from pack #3 blew my mind:


2015 Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection Derek Jeter Bat Relic

I couldn't contain myself. While it isn't an autograph or even numbered, this is the greatest pull in my life thus far, especially since it came from my favorite card set of 2015. 


Fast forward...about 24 hours. I'm back at my LCS for another resupply mission and notice a box of about 3,000 cards labeled "Free. Limit 100 please". Like a child with a 5 second attention span, I forget what I'm at the store for and start digging through the cards. About 98.4% of the cards were your typical 90's cards that were produced by the millions, but it didn't stop me. I'm glad I didn't stop either, because I came across these:

1995 Collector's Choice Special Edition Derek Jeter 

1995 Topps Derek Jeter #199

More Derek Jeters! I couldn't believe these were in the Free box. They're in great condition too. The owners MUST have overlooked these two. Not to talk down about them, but they aren't the type of card shop to give away cards that hold any potential value whatsoever. So I grabbed 'em while I could!


So there you have it, a very unusual week indeed. 3 Derek Jeter cards - one relic following the conclusion of his career, and two (for free) just at the start of his career. While I'm not an active collector of Derek Jeter, I do enjoy finding little treasures such as these. 

Thanks for reading!




6 comments:

  1. You just can't beat free - what a lucky strike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! If you are going to pull someone it might as well be Jeter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free Jeters? You don't see that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the Jeter pull. I just picked up a box of Topps Heritage High #'s at the flea market. Email your mailing address and I'll send you whatever I have from your wantlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great day or two at the card shop! The Jeter bat card is really nice and since his bat cards go for a decent price on ebay. I picked one up last year for my 3000 Hit Club Bat Card Collection and it wasn't cheap like most of the more recent players.

    ReplyDelete