Saturday, December 26, 2015

Trader's Log: 24 December 2015 - Infield Fly Rule

I hope everyone had a merry and blessed Christmas!

This is my very first blog post, and what better way to start off than with my very first PWE from Adam at Infield Fly Rule.

I stumbled on various card blogs this year after coming out of a very long card collecting drought while I finished college, got married, and started the first few years of my career.

Your blogs, for those of you reading, remind me of the fun of collecting and trading and inspired me to start a blog of my own.

Now, back to the PWE from Adam:

I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on blogging, and I'm still trying to figure out this blogspot formatting, so here are the cards Adam sent, uncropped. I'll highlight a few of the players I really enjoyed as a kid/teen:



Luis Gonzalez: I love the Gonzo card from Topps Finest. Finest is one of the few Topps products I think they almost always get right (yes, I am attracted to shiny, chromy, sparkly cards). Gonzo is and always will be a legend among D-Backs fans. The fact that he stuck around and still contributes to the organization and even the greater Phoenix community earns him a lot of respect in my eyes.

Miguel Montero: This is my second RC of Miggy. He's a stellar defensive catcher. When he signed a big contract, I though he was locked in for good with the D-backs. But as always, the front office let the fans down. They can never seem to hold on to a good player long enough, even after a big contract.

Conor Jackson: Co-Jack was a big, burly country-type first baseman. He had a few good seasons, if I remember correctly, but didn't pan out like we hoped. Thankfully, Paul Goldschmidt (my favorite current D-back, of course) was not too far behind, waiting for the call to The Show.




Jay Bell: He always seemed the intellectual type with those glasses. He was like the professor on the field - very calm and calculated (no pun intended). I don't remember him pulling off spectacular plays, but he was always consistent. His career stats are a good indicator of his consistency.

The Big Unit: Some great cards of him as a Mariner. Man, seeing him pitch in person was an experience. By the time he released the ball, he was already half way to home plate and the ball would explode in the catcher's glove with a loud "pop" heard around the stadium. Or so it seemed. The exploding bird is proof of that.

And in the bottom right corner you'll see a card of two pitching prospects you probably never heard of. Collecting those cards is always fun and goes to show how volatile it is being a Major League prospect, especially in the D-Backs organization. One day you're there, the next you're gone. Just like Dansby Swanson. Oh wait...

Well, there you have it. I'll be setting up a want list of cards in the future. If you are interested in trading, comment or email me!

Thanks again, Adam! The cards are awesome!


7 comments:

  1. You're welcome!

    Welcome to the club. We're glad to have you. Enjoy those cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those big unit cards. Welcome to the blogs, I just started mine earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice first post and welcome to the blogs - I just started earlier this month as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the cardsphere! Always nice to see some new bloggers come 'round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great cards there! My oldest son and I were sad to see Montero go. Goldschmidt is my favorite current D-Back as well, probably the same can be said for most D-Backs fans.

    ReplyDelete